HomeZone of the Enders DataZone of the Enders HD Edition / HD CollectionMARS + VR = M∀RSVisuals / Content GalleryZOE:TUS Message BoardsSitemapAbout ZOE:TUS
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:49 am

The GDNGG Club 
Leopardo

Leopardo

Post The GDNGG Club
The Games Don't Need Good Graphics Club! For people who aren't picky about what their games look like!

Last edited by VicViper_Leo on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:01 pm
Inhert

Inhert

Post Re: The GDNGG Club
ok get out of the club, leader. Because you like Zone OF The Enders, with superb 3D models and intense particle effects.

YOU ARE A LIE!!!

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:21 pm
Clod

Clod

Graphics are relative.

It's not about good or bad, its about suitability.

To quote myself in a previous thread...
Fox wrote:
Graphics do not enhance the gameplay, but they do enhance the experience :V

Graphics are immensely important, but its not about how shiny they are, its about how fitting they are to the experience and creating the right atmosphere. Look at things like Half-Minute Hero, deliberately retro in its apperance, and oh so fitting.
But as I said before, I care more for 2d sprite work than current gen brown graphics.
Odin Sphere and Muramasa are the pinnacle of game graphics :V

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:48 pm
NARITA

NARITA

Fox has a point.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:57 pm
NARITA

NARITA

Yeah, Fox is right on this one.

PS - Castlevania anyone? Buler, buler?

Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:01 am
Leopardo

Leopardo

Fox wrote:
Graphics are relative.

It's not about good or bad, its about suitability.

To quote myself in a previous thread...
Fox wrote:
Graphics do not enhance the gameplay, but they do enhance the experience :V

Graphics are immensely important, but its not about how shiny they are, its about how fitting they are to the experience and creating the right atmosphere. Look at things like Half-Minute Hero, deliberately retro in its apperance, and oh so fitting.
But as I said before, I care more for 2d sprite work than current gen brown graphics.
Odin Sphere and Muramasa are the pinnacle of game graphics :V

You want graphics that fit and create an atmosphere. I want to be able to see where I'm going and have fun doing it, while not caring if a character model is less than perfect.

I am not against a game having good graphics, rather I am against people who claim that graphics make the game. I'm not saying you are wrong, however, I agree with you. But graphics aren't the only thing that creates atmosphere in a game. I think a lot of story events help make it. If your best friend gets shot at area A, then that area is always going feel different (from the character's perspective). However, if a graphics atmosphere is what you are going for, then by all means, play games with graphics that create it.

The point I was trying to make with this "club" was that graphics do not make or break a game. I can have just as much fun playing a game with poor graphics as I can playing games in high def.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:51 am
Clod

Clod

Never once did I state graphics were the ONLY thing that create atmosphere :v
And at no point did I say they had to be "good" by today's standards.
I just said they were important.

Unless you want to play text adventures.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:47 am
Ardjet

Ardjet

Fox wrote:
Never once did I state graphics were the ONLY thing that create atmosphere :v
And at no point did I say they had to be "good" by today's standards.
I just said they were important.

Unless you want to play text adventures.

have you played dwarf fortress =P

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:03 am
Leopardo

Leopardo

To me, the most important factor in a game above all else is having fun. If a game is boring, then I won't play it. However, a game's graphics do not have to create an atmosphere for it to be fun. Furthermore, a game with a good atmosphere may be be very good at all (I realize you never made the point that atmosphere = masterpiece, I was building off the second sentence of this section, not aimed at your post).

In conclusion, yes graphics can create an atmosphere, I never denied that. However, the role graphics play in a final product (for me) isn't large enough to play a large factor in whether or not I enjoy a game. I am against people who think graphics are everything and think a game with poor graphics is garbage.

Last edited by VicViper_Leo on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:07 pm
Ardjet

Ardjet

VicViper_Leo wrote:
To me, the most important factor in a game above all else is having fun. If a game is boring, then I won't play it. However, a game's graphics do not have to create an atmosphere for it to be fun. Furtheremore, a game with a good atmosphere may be be very good at all (I realize you never made the point that atmosphere = masterpiece, I was building off the second sentence of this section, not aimed at your post).

In conclusion, yes graphics can create an atmosphere, I never denied that. However, the role graphics play in a final product (for me) isn't large enough to play a large factor in whether or not I enjoy a game. I am against people who think graphics are everything and think a game with poor graphics is garbage.

shadowrunner just got told =P

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:02 pm