HomeZone of the Enders DataZone of the Enders HD Edition / HD CollectionMARS + VR = M∀RSVisuals / Content GalleryZOE:TUS Message BoardsSitemapAbout ZOE:TUS
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:57 pm

Don't Support MechaDamashii.com 
Seeker

Seeker

Post Don't Support MechaDamashii.com
Hey guys, not that I want to start an internet flame war, but I felt somewhat obligated to report an experience i had on www.mechadamashii.com.

The author of the blog posted a rather negative review of ZOE2. Normally I wouldn't have much a problem with this as everyone is entittled to their opinion, but in this particular case something was odd. Based on the review itself and the gameplay video posted on the review, it was pretty apparent that the reviewer had played the game in a rather superficial manner, ignoring Subweapons and Melee combat nigh-entirely and spamming the "circle-strafe + Dash Shot" over 50 times in a single level. It was pretty clear this guy had not really bothered to experiment with ZOE2's excellent combat game mechanics.

I wrote a response expressing these opinions and suggesting the author "give it another go" with an emphasis on diving deeper into the gameplay rather then simply spamming a single weapon ad-infinitum. His response was extremely pompous and fallacious. He claimed that ZOE was blatantly ripped off the Virtual-ON series, and that Kojima Productions even admitted as such. He also claimed that ZOE2 was extremely poorly recieved in both America and Japan, so his opinion was vastly supported. ZOE, he claimed was a flawed game as a series.

Well obviously this struck an odd note with me. I responded to his statement, asking exactly how he knew these things (I mean, maybe I'm nuts but I don't think most people tend to have Japanese Gaming Reviews from 2001-2003 just hanging out in their hard drives, nor this apparent "confession" the ZOE team stated at one point regarding Virtual On) and posted quotes and references from official video game reviewers both here and abroad (X-Play and Famitsu magazine for example) supporting the fact that ZOE2 was extremely well-recieved (albeit not well-known) in both regions by both press and fan alike. I politely asked him for his counter-evidence.

He responded by deleting all of my comments, and when I responded asking why he had done such a thing, he banned me from the site entirely.

I can understand being opinionated, but deleting someone's response simply because they respectfully disagree with you, and then banning them from your site to ensure their voice is muted entirely, is nothing short of childish.

Anyway, I just figured I should let you guys know how the moderator of MechaDamashii.com views both ZOE, its fans and those who disagree with his opinion in general. I know many ZOE fans are also Mecha fans in general, so I wanted to say that if you are a regular visitor to MechaDamashii.com, you rethink your view on the site and the legitimacy of the moderator based on this incident.

Head over to www.MechaDamashii.com if you feel the need to voice your opinion on this. Again, while I don't support flame wars, I also am not a huge fan of people who abuse power and silence those who think differently then them.

Regardless, I'm putting this incident behind me, but I felt obligated to report it nonetheless.

Zone of the Enders X Yu-Gi-Oh! Cards.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:56 pm
Inhert

Inhert

Post Re: Don't Support MechaDamashii.com
God that guy was an asshole, I'm siding with you on that one bro :D

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:17 pm

That's actually not what you did, nor why you have been banned.

I'm all for healthy discussion, as the site's reviews are obvious opinion pieces and meant for intelligent discourse between similarly informed readers.

However, starting a discussion by undermining the reviewer on account of lack of gaming skill is a puerile and counter-productive argument to make. As you're not tackling the points made in the review itself but trying to circumvent them by discrediting the reviewer.

I am by no means infallible, nor do I profess to be either, but I am pretty experienced and knowledgeable about mecha gaming; to the extent I've been playing these types of games for nigh-on 25 years (and won a fair few tournaments in Japan too) so I find the "lack of skill" argumentative gambit rather tedious - especially as its obvious that the motive behind it is the inability to actual hold a constructive argument in the first place.

I also tried, twice, to encourage you to talk more about the mechanics of the games themselves - to which you declined and went down down the route of calling me a "newb".

At that point, instead of allowing the review's comments to be filled up with spam, I cut the the non-discussion short. Unfortunately, you kept on spoiling for a fight - so you've been banned.

I have no problem with discussion, just keep it civil and constructive.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:33 am
Seeker

Seeker

Again, while I appreciate your effort, you're dancing around the point.

Arguing that the reason you've reacted the way you have by claiming I called you a "newb" or suggested you are a poor gamer is a pretty-good attempt to develop a "scarecrow" arguement. Problem is, I specifically mention several times that it's not your lack of gaming skills that is the problem, but your decision to not experiement with the game mechanics in more depth. You're trying to put words in my mouth to make it sound like I'm claiming "omg newb playeer" because I suggested you may be having difficulty with the game, while simultaneously ignoring my point. I admit, it's a valiant effort to turn me into the badguy, but ultimately superficial.

Second, you're claiming that I fail to hold a "constructive argument?" I wrote nigh-on two pages in which I analyzed the gameplay of ZOE2 in regards to the issue of "fluidity between long-range and melee combat" and how the game actually has a very intuitive system. One you choose not to dig-deep into. Also, I really am surprised you're going to accuse me of not holding a constructive argument as you've been caught red-handed TELLING LIES to support your case (ever manage to turn up those "bad reviews" or "ZOE team confession"? Didn't think so). You're really good at twisting your words to make it sound like you're maintaining a stable arguement, but once one gets past the "I am more experienced then thou" act you see that you haven't once supported any of your claims and have centralized your entire argument on your own ego. It's really great that you've played mecha-gaming for a long time (although I really don't see how that makes a difference as mecha-gaming is a genre that is in no way uniform. One mecha game can be completely different from another in almost every conceavable way.) but you expect people to simply "take your word" for things due to your experience, and the second someone brings in counter-evidence and asks you to cite your sources, your hollow-arguement falls apart and you shut-down any further resistance.

You claimed ZOE was poorly recieved and that the team had allegedly "confessed" to copying off of Virtual-ON, yet when I asked you where you got this information you bolted. The debate wasn't spam in any sense, you had a claim about the game, I brought in a counter-arguement, you claimed to have "evidence", I asked you to show it while simultaneously bringing in my own counter-evidence by referencing my sources and using relevant quotes and you bail. You can make claims that I'm a troll that was going "OMG you are teh newbbzors" all you want, but when you get down to the facts you're simply trying to cover up the fact that your sense of ego is so great you're willing to MAKE THINGS UP to win a debate.

And no, I didn't "spoil for a fight" (nice choice of words again), I simply found it dissapointing that you chose to abuse your moderator status when asked to defend your stance on an issue. Your entire hollow-arguement here ("You called me a newb!" "No I really didn't -_-"), and the sheer fact you've taken the time to track me down across cyberspace, reveals you for what you are, a guy who doesn't like to loose. When someone posts to your blog expressing views different from yours and brings in evidence supporting such a case, rather then meeting them on such a level by citing your sources and defending your stance on the issue, you abuse power in an attempt to "win." Then, when you feel said-person may be discussing this with other groups he deals with, you track him down again to make sure you "win." I find the sheer fact that you're here hilarious, should I expect your presence on the other twelve sites in which I've mentioned this incident? Your presence here alone undermines your whole "calm expert" act in that you just CAN'T let this go.

Again, while you are very good at twisting logic to your favor, anyone with the intellect to see past your act discovers your arguement lacks any sort of supporting evidence and is completely derived from your ego. The second one asks you to support your case with evidence, you turn tail and run by abusing your moderator power. Here, where you lack such ability, I have a strong feeling you'll simply slip out when the chips are down, so I ask you the following. You claimed ZOE and ZOE2 were poorly recieved all over Japan. You also claimed the ZOE team admitted to copying off of Virtua-On. Since you've taken the time and come all this way to find me I'll happily continue this debate with you here. So, any luck coming up with those "sources"?

I'm impressed with your resolve and your desire to come out on top in this issue. What I'm not impressed with is that you spend more time wording-out your arguements then giving them any substance. Until you actually start bringing in evidence rather then ellaborating what is in-actuality your own opinion, you fail at defending your stance, your credibility as a reviewer and your site.

Don't support MechaDamashii.com

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:05 pm
Ardjet

Ardjet

did he even do the virtual training, seriosly ...

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:46 pm
Seeker

Seeker

I somehow doubt it.

I can understand playing through a game by using "what works." Some players find a comfort zone in games and stick to it. But in terms of someone REVIEWING a game, such a playstyle only gives you a narrowed view on the work as a whole. If you're going to slap scores onto things then you need to do your research in terms of gameplay.

It's really not Cacophanus' ability as a gamer or even his choice of playstyle that is the problem, but rather the fact that he then proposes to be in a position to judge such a work as if he took on the full experience of the game. The problem only gets worse when someone who IS familiar with the game mechanics as a whole tells him he is playing the game in a limited fashion and that, in order to better review it, he give the game another playthrough. Rather then a "Okay, I see what you're saying, I'll give it another try and will reconsider my review based on the second playthrough in which I get more experimental with the combat" he responds with actions that borderline on facism. The sad thing is he isn't even being asked to LIKE the game, merely give it another shot because, as experts have pointed out, he isn't engaging himself in the full experience. If he played through ZOE2 using every conceivable aspects of its incredibly diverse combat and STILL hated it, then by all means post the most scathing review you can muster. It's really just the sense of superficiality that irks me here, and the absolutely unacceptable manner in which he handles differing opinions.

But it looks like Cacophanus (isn't that a type of ancient fish btw?) has followed my predictions and left. Sorry about the tediousness of this whole thing, honestly never expected the guy to be so absorbed in "beating" me that he'd track me down on the net. Guess he can't let it go.

Oh well. Blech, internet conflicts. What can you do eh?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:56 pm
Scanner

Scanner

this type of gamer play game to feel the win,a false sense of accomplishment,so they are too scared to go head on with melee combat.For me in my opinion the best part of ZOE is in the melee combat,the sound effect for the slashes are well done,the pace and mechanic for the melee combat is one of the most perfect i have ever seen in any games.
True gamers play games to enjoy the process of the game,not just trying to win.
We play it for the game!
this guy doesnt deserve review ZOE

Ripping off Virtual on?? cmon,these 2 games are different
different pace,different view,different mechanic.
Virtual on was a revolution of mech games.And so is ZOE

So what if kojima took ideas and inspirations from virtual on??
If nobody took inspiration from other games.Then we wouldnt have genres

In fact we would only have a few games in the library because no one can think of a new genre all the time,Not everyone is a genius.

This guy probably just play games to win ,instead of enjoying the game.If you get what i am saying.
Let me ask you,would you watch final fantasy advent children if cloud didnt take out his huge sword to fight the enemies??
Would you give the movie a good review if all he did was stand a safe distance from his enemy and only kept casting firaga until the enemy died??

I agree with Tenks
I am angered by this.They put a topic called zone of pretenders.
They are just virtual on fans.Every game i see them review mentions virtual on.Nothing wrong with being a fan.I love virtual on too.But if your love for a particular game is going to affect your reviewing of another game.Then i doubt your ability to appropriately review a game.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:44 am