HomeZone of the Enders DataZone of the Enders HD Edition / HD CollectionMARS + VR = M∀RSVisuals / Content GalleryZOE:TUS Message BoardsSitemapAbout ZOE:TUS
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 am

Kojima Secret Project 
Leopardo

Leopardo

Post Kojima Secret Project
So, there's a new secret Kojima project apparently in development, which further fuels the decade long speculation of finally receiving a Zone of the Enders sequel.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/ ... e-enders-3

I don't remember if the so called Enders Project from a couple years ago was ever confirmed to be cancelled or not,

Besides a new ZOE, some are suggesting that it's possible a Metal Gear Solid Rising sequel is in development. Rising was good, but I didn't bother to actually finish it and I wouldn't care to see a sequel.

Metal Gear fans have also been urging KP to make a remake of the original Metal Gear games, also a bad idea in my opinion.

I think this is more likely to be some small project that will probably never even be announced before it's canned. Do we remember the so called Taboo Project and whatever happened to that? I think there were a few other projects that he talked about around the same time, too, that we never heard from.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:58 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

Location: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
Post Re: Kojima Secret Project
There's two of these, for some reason (that'll change, I'm sure), but I'll post on this one.

I hope, a lot, that this is ZOE3. As decent (and I stress decent) as Rising was, I don't want a sequel to that until awhile after The Phantom Pain is released.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:00 pm
Zakat

Zakat

Well, I'd definitely love if it was ZoE3. Not keeping my hopes up, though.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:29 pm
Inhert

Inhert

Kojima won't do jack shit.
I am no longer his fan.
He's lazier than I am.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:54 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

Location: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
helldiver450 wrote:
I am no longer his fan.
He's lazier than I am.

Metal Gear has consistently put money in his pocket and food on his table, I can't blame the man for focusing on what pays his bills.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:52 pm
Inhert

Inhert

Bandage131 wrote:
helldiver450 wrote:
I am no longer his fan.
He's lazier than I am.

Metal Gear has consistently put money in his pocket and food on his table, I can't blame the man for focusing on what pays his bills.

Bills? ZOE 3 has been the most anticipated game of this DECADE, and the next.
It has been in speculation much longer than halflife 3.
It is THE most anticipated game of 2010-2020.

The money is IN THE BAG.
He's just outright refusing it, and the ZOE collection only sold badly because the advertisement for it was less than 20 seconds long, without any kind of explanation for the damn game other than it's "rated M for mature"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2bP5bBNXK4
^their lazy excuse for an advertisement.
"hurr hurr it's the fans fault for not buying". It's amazing we even fucking knew it existed!

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:31 am
Zakat

Zakat

The most anticipated game? What the fuck, are you on drugs? ZOE has always been a niche title, and it doesn't seem likely that it'll ever change. The speculation around it isn't even close to HL3's. Hell, it's so far from it that ZOE3's speculation could never even fathom to see it even with an orbital telescope.

If we ever get ZOE3, it'll be a godsend, a goddamned miracle. The chances of it ever coming out are as slim as they get. It's a game with a really damn small potential consumer base and an even thinner fanbase. It's a high risk investment.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:58 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

I'd have to agree with CaveShinobi on this one. Anticipation for ZOE3 is high among people who are already fans of the series, all five of us, and the occasional journalist that mentions it while speculating on what Kojima's next project could be.

I would bet that the most exposure most people have had to the series are those kinds of articles. Especially as the games become harder to find as the years go by, a diminishing percentage of gamers (which was small to begin with) have played the games and have only heard about them.

I think Zone of the Enders has reached 'Snatcher Status'. Really, what I mean, is that it's become a cult classic among a small group of old school Kojima fans. While most recognize Zone of the Enders as good, few actually own and play the games. Most people recognize Snatcher as good, despite never actually playing it. Policenauts is the same way, too. I think Zone of the Enders benefits because it was the last of these "old non-Metal Gear Kojima games" (ZOE1 came out in 2001) and was released on a more popular platform, so it had the largest audience of any of the old non-Metal Gear Kojima games. But, obviously, that didn't stick over the years. That's not the say I think it's the fault of the fanbase, it's really the fault of the massive commercial success of Metal Gear Solid combine with the failures of the Second Runner.

I think what happened was that after the Second Runner, the number people who loved it and wanted a sequel was less than the number who bought ZOE 1. As we can imagine, the MGS2 demo was a huge selling point for ZOE 1, and I question whether or not we would have even seen ZOE 2 if the first game did not have the demo. Similarly, that demand for a ZOE sequel from those who played ZOE 2 has dwindled over the years. The bottom line is that most people like Metal Gear Solid, so Konami wants more of them. It doesn't matter how good we say Zone of the Enders is if people don't buy it.

The fact is, Metal Gear is where the money is at. Konami doesn't exist to fulfill the artistic dreams of Hideo Kojima, it exists to make a profit and is obligated by its shareholders to that end. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that we see a small sequel, maybe on 3DS or Vita, but something with the production values of Metal Gear Solid V is increasingly unlikely, and I think the poor sales the HD Collection solidified that fate. Blame the poor marketing for the game, if you want, but that doesn't change the bottom line.

It's interesting, but I would speculate that Metal Gear is the reason why we have a Zone of the Enders series in the first place, but also the reason why we won't see a true sequel. You can see Metal Gear trying to prop up and support Zone of the Enders with the demo's included (Metal Gear Solid 2 and Rising), but it's apparently not enough.

On a related note, I think the Snatcher Status reality of Zone of the Enders brings up the question of this website. Websites cost money, and as the number of regular members of this forum decrease and we go weeks at a time without being really active, it makes me wonder if the admin would see it in his best interest to shut the place down. I'd hope not, as I've been coming to this website for years and was a long time lurker before I actually joined.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:56 pm
Cyclops

Cyclops

My guess is that Kojimas's staff does not know how to make a proper ZOE game that will live up to our expectations.

Think about it. They mainly make MGS: tactical espionage action. ZOE is quite different.

They tried to make MGS Rising, but only managed to make a tech demo with slicing dynamics, not a complete game. It was platinum games that completed the game.

I think the staff that made the ZOE games, long ago, are working somwhere else now.

Tho, I still love ZOE and as a fan, want to create a ZOE fan game, but I have to admit, it is indeed hard to do.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:04 am
Inhert

Inhert

michael_3dx wrote:
My guess is that Kojimas's staff does not know how to make a proper ZOE game that will live up to our expectations.

Think about it. They mainly make MGS: tactical espionage action. ZOE is quite different.

They tried to make MGS Rising, but only managed to make a tech demo with slicing dynamics, not a complete game. It was platinum games that completed the game.

I think the staff that made the ZOE games, long ago, are working somwhere else now.

Tho, I still love ZOE and as a fan, want to create a ZOE fan game, but I have to admit, it is indeed hard to do.

I'll make any mechs and animated cutscenes you need.
Just say the word, and I will begin working immediately.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:20 am