HomeZone of the Enders DataZone of the Enders HD Edition / HD CollectionMARS + VR = M∀RSVisuals / Content GalleryZOE:TUS Message BoardsSitemapAbout ZOE:TUS
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 am

Kojima Productions Collection 
Leopardo

Leopardo

Post Kojima Productions Collection
This is an expansion of the old ZOE collection thread:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=263

The past year I've made a considerable effort to start collecting in order to have a copy of every game made by Kojima and his team. I started by importing Policenauts (and Policenauts: Private Collection) which I have a very positive opinion of. I also finally acquired The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2, the IDW anthology of Metal Gear Solid comic, and the Limited Edition of Metal Gear Solid 4. I also purchased a Kojima Productions hoodie too (gotta support the guy somehow and who knows when Death Stranding will come out!). I am lacking on the PSP games, as I only own Portable Ops, but the rest are cheap enough that they shouldn't be hard to acquire (just have to make sure the games are in good condition!)

In any case, during the past two months I have made some more interesting purchases.

That's a Figma Ludens, the Data Discs Policenauts vinyl soundtrack, and the original Boktai for Gameboy Advance.

This year my goal is basically to complete the collection by picking up any missing games. Specifically the Gameboy Color version of Metal Gear Solid, Portable Ops Plus, Acid 1, Acid 2, Digital Graphic Novel, Boktai 2, and Lunar Knights.

I am aware that I am omitting Snatcher from this list. I watch Ebay to see what Sega CD copies sell for, typically they are bid up to $600 or more unless the game is missing the case or manual or if it's damaged. I do intend on buying this game someday when the time is right.

For any serious collectors, I recommend checking out convention booths for merchandise. At Ohayocon this year, there was a booth with the Metal Gear 20th Anniversary Collection (obviously Japanese only) and a Japanese Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Limited Edition. They were not very expensive but I did not purchase as, due to region locks, I can't really do anything with them (and I already own 5 version of all of the main games..). But definitely good finds for collectors.

Anyone ever play Boktai? The game heavily relies on the solar sensor, and as I live in Ohio, I typically do not see much sunlight during the winter. So this game is currently in the backlog for me!

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:28 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

Post Re: Kojima Productions Collection
It's been a while, but I have acquired some new items for the collection. Since my last post, I picked up Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker for PSP, Snatcher CD Romantic, SDatcher, The Art of Metal Gear Solid I-IV, and this morning Death Stranding. I already have the Playstation 3 version of Peace Walker on the HD Collection and Legacy Collection discs so this is purely for collection purposes - a copy is pretty cheap on Ebay and I think it has some pretty cool cover art so I'm happy to have it.

The Snatcher items are interesting pickups, but these are also only for collection purposes. Snatcher CD Romantic is the PC Engine CD-ROM² version of the game (known as the TurboGrafx-16 Super CD-ROM² outside of Japan). It is notable for being considered the definitive version of the game as it includes the third act, which was omitted from the PC-8801 and MSX2 versions (there's something about missing third acts in Kojima games....) as well as being uncensored (the Sega CD version cannot say the same, although in my opinion the Sega CD version has a superior soundtrack to the PC Engine version).

SDatcher is a radio drama prequel to Snatcher written by Suda 51 and focuses on Jean-Jack Gibson, the Junker that is killed at the beginning of the game. Hideo Kojima and Suda 51 also provide voices for some of the characters. It was originally announced as Project-S back in 2007 but the first act of the radio drama did not appear on the Hideo Blog until 2011. I'm not really sure how this ended up being a 4-year project but it's still good. I suspect that this project may have been the inspiration of or a field test for the move toward cassette tapes and away from the codec as a story telling device in Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, and Phantom Pain. This radio drama is also only in Japanese but has been translated by non other than the guys over at Junker HQ, Marc Laidlaw and Artemio Urbina - the same group that did the Playstation and Sega Saturn localization patches for Policenauts, a translation of the Metal Gear Solid 2 Grand Game Plan document, among other major projects. Overall though I like this as a piece of history. It also includes an art book which is pretty neat.

I pre ordered the Special Edition of Death Stranding and picked it up this morning. I've played about five hours of the game and so far I'm enjoying it.

It's definitely interesting to have one of Kojima's oldest games right next to his brand new one. We've come a long way for sure, but it's worth being a fan.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:10 am