HomeZone of the Enders DataZone of the Enders HD Edition / HD CollectionMARS + VR = M∀RSVisuals / Content GalleryZOE:TUS Message BoardsSitemapAbout ZOE:TUS
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

Did... ANYone buy MARS? At all? 
Mosquito

Mosquito

Post Did... ANYone buy MARS? At all?
Or has ZOE2 just been discussed to death? Is this game just that insignificant to the fanbase (or at least the population of the fanbase that enjoys the game enough to want to find others to discuss it with), with it being the same game from 2003 in high (or I guess higher as this is the second re-release) fidelity?

I mean it's ZOE2 in 4K ... with VR ... neither of which anyone I know actually owns. The HD collection looked great, and this new version of it looks great too, but it is the same game from so many years ago. What is there left to discuss? Would it have been more interesting if they went and updated ZOE1 with some new gameplay elements (i.e. pulled from ZOE2), or maybe went and bridged the gap between the two games with anime cutscenes? I don't know!

No one is really talking about it (I don't mean just on this forum I mean in general, friends are not talking about 'that new Zone of the Enders game'). Instead, they're talking about, and playing, Spider-man. How ironic would it be if it was a bad release timing? Didn't ZOE2 originally suffer because of a poorly timed release, something Hideo Kojima took the blame for as producer?

Is ZOE just that unpopular? I dread seeing the sales figures for MARS (if they are ever released) when I think about that. It could mean no more actual new entry, you know, one that isn't a re-release...

For the record, I bought it. The physical copy. I especially like that the day one patch is only 31MB (yes, thirty-one megabytes) and that it's actually playing off the BDROM and not making me download an additional twenty or forty or sixty gigs like games are wont to do nowadays. Seems Luna gets to keep some space on her PS4 for at least a little while longer!!

(Mmm it seems I spoke too soon. It appears to be taking up about 20 gigs according to the system storage. Maybe it's just something to get used to...)

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:43 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

Post Re: Did... ANYone buy MARS? At all?
I think saying "unpopular" implies that people think it's a bad game or dislike it, I think it's moreso the case that anyone that has interest in the game has already played it at this point (it is 15 years old, and the HD Collection has been out for six years). It's true that the PlayStation 2 version is a somewhat hard to find game, but the HD Collection has made both games pretty easily available to anyone looking to try a non-Metal Gear Hideo Kojima game. I don't see a lot of people buying MARS when the HD collection is half as much money and includes both games. I almost see this as a collectors item, something for the hardcore fans on the newer consoles.

I would be very interested in seeing sales figures as compared to retail and online sales of the HD Collection.

As I'm sure you can already guess, I did not buy the game, not because I oppose triple dipping on the same game (I own five versions of Sons of Liberty), but because I still refuse to buy any new Konami products.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:55 am
Clod

Clod

Man, I haven't posted on this site in many many years 8D

A re-release of a re-release going kinda under the radar isn't surprising, it wasn't particularly heavily advertised, and VR is still a pretty small market so that doesn't bring that many fresh eyes.

I bought it cause its ZOE on PC finally, and I no longer have any consoles so this was a great chance to replay it without having to emulate.

ZOE was always pretty niche in the first place, I just hope it did well enough that they maybe think about bringing the first game to PC aswell sometime, cause I miss it.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:21 am
Zakat

Zakat

Yeah I got it on PC and tried it out with the Vive, it's a pretty cool perspective on a game I've played multiple times over the years.

I think it's just a niche franchise that isn't very interesting to a lot of people but I was definitely suprised when Konami decided to go with a release like this especially after all the shit they've been doing thus far.

Done Requests: Request #1 Request #2

Highly inactive, But still visit from time to time.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:57 am