HomeZone of the Enders DataZone of the Enders HD Edition / HD CollectionMARS + VR = M∀RSVisuals / Content GalleryZOE:TUS Message BoardsSitemapAbout ZOE:TUS
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PlayStation 4 and Xbox One 
Leopardo

Leopardo

Post Re: PlayStation 4 and Xbox One
I don't know if any of you are interested in this, but yesterday Square released a trailer for the new Final Fantasy XIII sequel. But, I found this to be particularly interesting because the trailer is a retrospective of the story thus far in the style of a Super NES title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrBSO74DzA

I personally think the music from Final Fantasy XIII is some of the best in the series - particularly the main title theme and the battle theme. That said, I did not finish the game.

Before Final Fantasy XIII, the last "normal" entry in the series was Final Fantasy X, and that came out in 2001. Final Fantasy XIII was supposed to return the series to the normalcy after adventures with Final Fantasy X-2 - at the time the only direct sequel - Final Fantasy XI - the online one that required the PlayStation 2's hard drive to be able to play - and Final Fantasy XII - the one with radically different gameplay and story structures. That's nine years of different experiments and adventures for the series.

I actually remember when Final Fantasy XIII actually came out, and the large parts of the gaming community were very excited for it. Square did excellent promotion for the game, with that wonderful commercial and song "My Hands", and releasing beautiful and stylish trailers for the game leading up to it's release. I think everyone was really ready for Square to reclaim it's position as the dominant JRPG developer that it had held for the entirety of 1990's up until really Final Fantasy X or maybe 2003. I think nostolgia and desire to relive an era of RPG that doesn't exist anymore really helped fuel the hype surrounding Final Fantasy XIII - and the hope for a remake of Final Fantasy VII, which is about as likely as Zone of the Enders 3. Not only that, but similarly I remember reading articles about how people who were normally Xbox fans were switching over the PS3 for Final Fantasy XIII, presumably out of some effort to, once again, relive the days of Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX.

Once Final Fantasy XIII came out, and now I'm speaking from my own personal experience, the game did not live up to Final Fantasy X. The character's were not as memorable as they were in previous games and the story about Fal'Cie and l'Cie and Cie'th was a little confusing and failed to keep my interest. Some people criticized the game's environments for being too linear, and while I don't disagree with that, Final Fantasy X had some linear environments as well, and in any case that's not the problem I had with them in XIII. In X, every environment was significant either for story reasons or because later in the game, you could return to them and find secrets or complete side quests. It made every area feel special. In XIII, none of the areas seemed that important story-wise, nothing significant happened in them as you simply ran straight through them, and - while I didn't finish the game - I don't think it's possible to return to any areas to complete side quests or whatever, and I don't think I'd want to even if you could. The actual battle system wasn't terrible, but it seemed like with the auto battle feature, a lot of the strategy was removed and I simply mashed the X button for my way through. While you can turn it off, this doesn't make the game any more fun as it seems like it was designed for it. Not only that, but only being able to control one character isn't good, especially because NPC's can't revive whatever character you're controlling. I will say, though, the Paradigm system is great and I loved trying to plan out which Paradigms I wanted to use for each character, and I liked trying to stagger enemies. But, I have more problems with the game. I disliked the way they removed towns and simply combined Save points and Shops, and - maybe I just didn't understand something - but the Crystarium seemed like a linear sphere grid. I missed planning out how I was going to level up each of my characters. Not only that, but there would be times in the game where I was stuck, but maxed out the Crystarium for that section of the game. So, I couldn't beat a boss, and I had extra experience points that the game wouldn't let me spend for whatever reason. Final Fantasy X never made that kind of mistake. At that point, I simply could not advance further in the game and I stopped playing it. It wasn't long after that my PS3 broke and I lost my save file, but I probably wouldn't have bothered to continue to try regardless.

So, anyways, after Final Fantasy XIII, which was supposed to return the series to normalcy, we now have two sequels to that game, another MMO that's been out for years and nobody likes, and now Final Fantasy XV, which is just Versus XIII, yet another game in the Fabula Nova Crystallis series. I don't know a whole lot about that game, but I guess it supposed to be sort of like a realistic Kingdom Hearts in terms of gameplay. While that doesn't seem bad at all on it's own merits, it seems that Final Fantasy will not be returning to it's Final Fantasy X normalcy. Considering that there are no more of the original minds behind the series, this seems to make sense.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:18 pm
Cyclops

Cyclops

Maybe the PS4 will play PS1 & PS2 games soon:
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/1305394/sony-adding-playstation-ps2-compatibility-to-ps4

This is good news as I don't have my PS2 here.

Maybe I can finally play The Matrix Game. (I heard that it is not that good, but i still want to play it)

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:00 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

Location: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
VicViper_Leo wrote:
I don't know if any of you are interested in this, but yesterday Square released a trailer for the new Final Fantasy XIII sequel. But, I found this to be particularly interesting because the trailer is a retrospective of the story thus far in the style of a Super NES title.

I love this trailer. If XIII was rendered that way, I'd so fucking buy it. I love the 16-bit Final Fantasies.

VicViper_Leo wrote:
Before Final Fantasy XIII, the last "normal" entry in the series was Final Fantasy X, and that came out in 2001. Final Fantasy XIII was supposed to return the series to the normalcy after adventures with Final Fantasy X-2 - at the time the only direct sequel - Final Fantasy XI - the online one that required the PlayStation 2's hard drive to be able to play - and Final Fantasy XII - the one with radically different gameplay and story structures. That's nine years of different experiments and adventures for the series.

I don't find XIII to be a "normal" Final Fantasy in any way.

VicViper_Leo wrote:
I think nostolgia and desire to relive an era of RPG that doesn't exist anymore really helped fuel the hype surrounding Final Fantasy XIII - and the hope for a remake of Final Fantasy VII, which is about as likely as Zone of the Enders 3. Not only that, but similarly I remember reading articles about how people who were normally Xbox fans were switching over the PS3 for Final Fantasy XIII, presumably out of some effort to, once again, relive the days of Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX.

1) Square hasn't made an FF7 remake because, according to some press release I read five years ago (about the same time Crisis Core was coming out) that "No one would buy it, they've already played it".
2) An FF7 remake has a great deal more chance than ZOE3, sorry to say. Especially if Square doesn't issue a cease & desist order to whatever fan studio is working on it in secret.
3) FF8 needs a remake too...

michael_3dx wrote:
Maybe the PS4 will play PS1 & PS2 games soon:
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/1305394/sony-adding-playstation-ps2-compatibility-to-ps4

This is good news as I don't have my PS2 here.

Maybe I can finally play The Matrix Game. (I heard that it is not that good, but i still want to play it)

Which Matrix game? Enter the Matrix or Path of Neo? Path of Neo starts out okay, but ends up making Enter the Matrix look like a fucking masterpiece. There's a level where you fight human size ants, I shit you not. About the best part of Path of Neo is the Wachowski (then Brothers) Siblings showing up as 8-bit sprites in then-current-gen chairs. And then fighting a 50-foot Agent Smith.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:55 pm
Cyclops

Cyclops

It is Enter the Matrix.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:08 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

michael_3dx wrote:
It is Enter the Matrix.

See, I find that one decent because it was a side-story to Reloaded (it fucks with the continuity a little, especially because the Revolutions Oracle is in it when it should be the one from Reloaded, but she died, so I excuse it).

Path of Neo gets all fucked up because it's not a concise narrative, the FMVs are clips from the films instead of being scenes from the films, some parts of it are just plain bland (there's a scene during Reloaded where you're running through various Smith-infested areas with Morpheus and the Keymaker, but it's so boring that it's hard to play nowadays, and the Neo training stuff all sucks) and some parts are just downright stupid (the aforementioned giant ant sequence which, I believe, takes place in the Merovingian's lair, despite the fact that he never had an MC Esher room, nor were there giant ants, just vampires).

It's sad. At the time of Enter the Matrix, I wanted a Neo game. I played Path of Neo, and I find myself playing Enter the Matrix instead.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:32 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

Do you guys plan on buying Ground Zeros later this month? I've already got my copy pre ordered! Can't wait

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:26 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

I'm going to get it. PS3, not next-gen. I have no desire to buy a next-gen console yet, and if I did, I'm tempted to say it'd be the Xbox One, purely for Dead Rising 3.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:48 am
Leopardo

Leopardo

We've probably had this discussion before, but...

I agree, while some games on the next gen systems look nice, I am not convinced to buy them yet. Besides, I think the only major change between the current and next gen versions of the game are that the graphics are sharper on the next gen systems.

But, I hate these comparison videos, because all it does is make the current gen version seem inferior somehow. When I'm playing the game on my PS3, I highly doubt I'll constantly be thinking about how this texture or that character model could've been better. I don't think an untrained eye will even notice major graphical differences when they are actually playing it on a TV. Especially for me, because I live in the stone age and don't play games on an HD TV. I think the comparison video probably exaggerated the differences.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:52 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

It's either that the comparison videos are exaggerating or the current-gen version's quality has dipped down.

Back when the first trailers came out - the PAX Ground Zeroes trailer, the VGA Phantom Pain trailer, the GDC MGSV trailer that showed us they were the same game - Kojima told us that the PC they were running that through was current-gen specs, PS3/360, not PS4/X1, and when I read that, I shit my pants because the game just looked too goddamn good to be current gen. I remember saying over at MI6 Community "If this is current-gen, what the fuck will the next-gen version look like?!" And now, it just seems like the "next-gen" version has the same quality as those trailers, and the "current-gen" version doesn't look like it originally did.

So, yeah, I'm betting the comparison videos are dumbing down the current-gen versions for the sake of "ooh, next-gen, pretty, do you rike it?" (On a completely unrelated, I don't know why I'm mentioning this note: there is now a Lego minifigure of Hideo Kojima.). The PS3/360 version will look fine.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:24 am
Leopardo

Leopardo

Exactly. I know someone who plans on purchasing a new next gen system for this game and I just want to tell this person how bad of an idea that is. In any case, I saw that Lego Hideo, and I want it!

Do you read the Snake Soup by any chance? I love that site, now it's an aggregate for Metal Gear news. It's very convenient for staying up to date.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:53 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next