HomeZone of the Enders DataZone of the Enders HD Edition / HD CollectionMARS + VR = M∀RSVisuals / Content GalleryZOE:TUS Message BoardsSitemapAbout ZOE:TUS
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

The Love of a Machine by RyuDraconis 

Personal Review
Loved it 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Pretty good 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Alright 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Meh 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
WTF is this BS!? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Reminds me of Twilight -_- 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

The Love of a Machine by RyuDraconis 
Leopardo

Leopardo

Post The Love of a Machine by RyuDraconis
{Author is RyuDraconis, not me(so dont ask). Only 3 chapters are shown here and you can read the others on the link posted below. This is a romance fiction depicting a love triangle}
Rated: T - English - Adventure/Romance

The Love of a Machine
Chapter One

As the mobile frame Jehuty slid into its stationary upright position onboard the ship Atlantis, Leo breathed a sigh of relief. It was over. Finally over. No more killing, no more fighting, over, at least for him. This would be the first and last time he ever piloted Jehuty or any other type of frame. As he looked over the frames internal screens, the computer, ADA spoke up, her mechanical voice breaking the silence.

"Jehuty has completed final docking with Atlantis, all systems will now perform a routine systems check."

As this was said, a list of systems began scrolling across ADA's main HUD* display, and each one were checked as the system reported its status.

ADA's voice broke in as Leo read the data; "The fight with Anubis has left Jehuty significantly weaker, Superiority reports on Anubis indicate the frame is 100% superior to Jehuty in all ways."

Leo blinked trying to hold back his surprise and astonishment. The frame Anubis had been superior to Jehuty in every way, shape and form, and yet he, a small boy had still managed to hold off the frame long enough for them to escape the exploding station. How was that possible? He hadn't been born to pilot frames, or to fight a war for that matter.

He frowned a bit and said, "Are you sure of this ADA?"

Ada's voice cut in again as she intoned, "Yes Leo, my readouts come directly from the battle you fought with Anubis."

"But…that's impossible!" the young boy exclaimed, "there's no way I could have stood up to that brute of a machine!"

ADA's voice again filled the cockpit, "You are correct, the pilot of Anubis also outclassed and outranked you in every manner and form. Jehuty should not have survived the fight with Anubis."

"However," ADA continued, her voice softening a little, "Jehuty did survive, and so did you, so logically speaking, you were the superior pilot…surviving while the odds were stacked against you."

"Thank you ADA," said Leo wearily as he leaned back in the pilot seat.

"Leo my sensors are detecting a break down of your neurological impulses and activity, are you OK?"

The boy nodded unaware of the uncharacteristic concern the computer of the ship seemed to show, "Mhmm, just tired, need rest…"

Leo was right, the day had been a long one indeed, and the many battles he had fought required a constant demand on his mind as well as his body, pushing him beyond exhaustion to pure sleep deprivation. Celvice's condition didn't help the young frame-runner's mind either, and the stress that her injury had put on the young pilot seemed to weigh him and his senses down even more. Leo couldn't help but feel responsible for her getting shot by Viola. He had let down his guard, and she, sweet Celvice had paid the price.

Just as Leo was about to drift off to sleep, ADA interrupted again.

"Leo, I am receiving a communiqué from Atlantis' Bridge, shall I patch it through?"

"Sure ADA, go ahead," said Leo through a yawn.

The HUD flickered for a moment then a young woman's face appeared, saying, "Leo? Leo are you there?" Leo looked up sleepily, and then winced. Indeed he knew who it was.

Slowly he answered, "Hi Elena, good to finally see you, so how come you and yours boys aren't down in the hanger yet? I'd thought you'd be all swarming over Jehuty by now, considering the beating she took from Anubis…"

Elena chuckled a bit, "We'll be down there shortly, just looking after our guest here, and she's been rather antsy since you went after the bombs."

Leo's eyes went wide and he leaned forward, "Celvice? Is she OK? How is she? Is the wound that bad?"

Elena laughed a bit, then smiled, "she's fine Leo, a little sore, but OK, when we get you out of Jehuty we'll bring her up to see you…"

Leo nodded, "thank you Elena…although, I can't thank you for everything you made me got through to get this frame to you…"

Elena seemed to hesitate, then she looked down, "We didn't mean to drag you into this Leo…" she said quietly, "It's just that we're so desperate to get a hold of Jehuty, it may be our last chance on Mars…"

Leo balked as she said these words and suddenly ADA's next mission came rushing back.

"I am to detonate Jehuty at the Mars Core, resulting in a x4.2 Gigaton explosion. I am destined for this because I am a machine…nothing more."

Suddenly he felt something stinging at the corner of his eyes, and his voice cracked, "Elena, you can't…ADA, she's not meant to do this, everything has a destiny, ADA has one too god damn it!" Suddenly before Elena could reply, then screen went blank and ADA's voice intoned, cold, hard, female…mechanical.

"Leo, I am a machine, I do whatever I am ordered to do. I have no destiny, I have no fate. I'm just a lifeless thing…cold, emotionless."

ADA continued her drawl, "you are acting irrational, and as Pilot of this frame, your combat efficiency as well as piloting ability has dropped to 50%, I must insist that you cease and desist all emotional responses and piloting functions until more rest has given you time to regain your composure…"

With those words, the voice stopped and there was silence in the frames cockpit.

Leo sat there quietly, the tears still stinging at the side of his cheeks. There had to be more than ADA seemed to be. Cold and emotionless as she seemed at times, Leo had seen through what seemed to be just an act, and had gotten in touch with a deeper side of ADA than ADA put forward. He couldn't sit by and let her die! She had become more than just a computer to him in their time together, she had become his friend. He remembered all to well how he had failed Celvice, and its memories still haunted him. He couldn't let another friend down! Leo clenched his fists at his side and nodded. When he got down from Jehuty and rested up, he and Elena would have a serious talk. A VERY serious talk…
----------
The Love of a Machine
Chapter Two

It took only a couple of minutes after Leo's last conversation with ADA and Elena for the techs to come and retrieve him from the cockpit of Jehuty. As the techs got to work on the frame, a couple Medics, who had also been called put Leo on a stretcher bed. He was fast asleep. However, as Leo slept, surrounded by darkness, he thought he heard talking.

"Poor kid," muttered a voice, "he's been through one hell of a week…"

Another voice cut in, "yes, but he did a wonderful job getting Jehuty back to us…"

The first voice that had spoken replied again, "I heard he took on Anubis all by himself! If I didn't know any better this kid must have some sort of innate piloting skill I'm sure!"

Again the second voice replied, "No kidding! I've been going over some of the data the techs pulled from ADA's databanks, it seems this kid pushed her performance above and beyond what she was originally specified…not even Elena's fiancée, Alan, was that good!"

It was at that time that the conversation seemed to go inaudible as Leo's consciousness left him completely.

Leo awoke a few hours later, stretching and yawning. Sitting up as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes, he looked around. White sheeted beds were placed in a long row, and the room seemed dimly lit. Looking around some more in the dimness, Leo made out what seemed to be medical gurneys lined up against the wall. Looking at himself, he also realized his shirt was off, and he was only in his pants. Sighing he flopped back down onto the bed as he figured out he was in the medical ward of the Atlantis. He felt somewhat disappointed; he had wanted to see Celvice first not be stuck in a medical ward. He unconsciously yawned again, suddenly feeling very tired again.

"Guess this is what sleep deprivation really feels like." He mumbled laying his head back on the pillow.

He was lost yet again as sleep once again overwhelmed him, yet this time his sleep was not so sweet and nice, this time it was haunted by nightmares. The voice of ADA constantly berated him, whispering the words, "I'm just a machine…" over and over again, and as he slept, he kept on denying it, saying to the voice there was more to her than just the machine parts of Jehuty and its computer. There was her, ADA, a personality, something that lived and existed, just like himself and everyone else. As he said this, the blackness seemed to light up in a gigantic explosion, and as the explosion was incinerating him, Leo screamed.

Leo woke up with a start; sitting up, sweat running down his forehead. The dream had been so real, he had felt the heat of the explosion, heard ADAS voice, and felt the pain of feeling helpless, unable to help the frame, or ADA. Suddenly there was a bleeping and a screen dropped down before him. It flickered for a bit, then Elena's face came into view.

"Ah Leo, glad to see you're up again…I hope you slept well…"

"Well, for the first part of the night, well, yeah…"

"That's good," replied Elena, "Thunderheart should be getting to the medical wing right now to bring you to see Celvice, Ok? I know how much you wanted to see her."

"Ok," mumbled Leo, "Just give me a second to get fully dressed…"

Elena laughed a bit, "alright, we got some clean clothes out for you, they're standard issue onboard the Atlantis, you'll find them in the drawer on the side of your bed…"

Leo nodded and replied, "OK, thanks Elena…"

Elena smiled and said, "we'll see you and Thunderheart on the bridge in a couple OK? There are some things I'd like to talk to you about."

Leo sighed and nodded, "OK, see you then…"

The screen went blank and folded back into place as Leo scrambled out of bed and wiggled into the uniform of the Atlantis' crew. It was a little snug, but it fit Leo quite well.

Looking himself over in the mirror, Leo sighed a bit, "another sign that I'm in this deeper than I ever thought…something tells me I'm not going to go home anytime soon…"

Suddenly he heard a voice chuckle behind him.

"Well, well if it isn't our little pilot…"

Leo spun around, and then smiled a bit, "Hey Thunderheart, its good to see you again…"

Thunderheart grinned, "and you too Leo, and I daresay, that pilot uniform fits you quite well, although, you still seem a bit…young to be wearing it…"

Leo grimaced, "I never asked to be a part of this war Thunderheart…all I did was get mixed up with something I shouldn't have, then one thing escalated into another…" His face fell. "And now, before I know it…I, I'm off…watching people get killed and hurt wherever I go…" Leo's voice choked, "I…I never asked for this…"

Thunderheart gave Leo a grave look and his voice went hard and cold, "Listen kid, nobody said war was easy…people do get hurt, even killed, and nobody ASKED for war, it just happens it's a phenomenon that's happened to humans for centuries…"

"I don't care," said Leo quietly, "I just want it to end…too many people have died unnecessarily!"

Thunderheart looked at Leo quietly and folded his arms before saying, "You're acting like a child Leo…"

Leo glared at Thunderheart, "I AM a child, and all I want to do is go home!"

Thunderheart frowned, "well then you will have to learn to grow up a lot faster…do you think you can go home now after what happened in that raid? Do you even know where your relatives may be now? Chances are, the crew of the Atlantis is the only family and home you and Celvice have left…"

The words Thunderheart said seemed to slap Leo across the face and he sat there quietly, a pained and shocked look on his face. However, he knew deep down in his heart what Thunderheart was saying was true. He had seen some of the boys he knew crushed before his very eyes, and then, the house where he lived destroyed in a ball of fire. In fact the entire colony was pretty much damaged in the entire attack. Even Jehuty had a hard time containing her powerful weaponry from hitting a few houses. As he thought of all the innocents who had died, destroyed because of two frames the enemy wanted so badly, a tear trickled down the corner of his eyes.

"Maybe…I should have just handed over Jehuty to them…" he whispered quietly, "then, maybe none of this would have happened."

Thunderhearts laugh that followed was cold and hollow, "and then what? You'd sit by and watch them take over the entire galaxy? Chances are after they'd had gotten both Jehuty and Anubis, they would have destroyed the entire colony!" He smirked a bit, "they're far from caring kid, they have only one goal, to subvert the colonized worlds, and with Jehuty and Anubis they could have done just THAT." His voice softened a bit, "By resisting them as you did, you may have saved hundreds of thousands more lives…"

Leo winced a bit. Thunderheart was right. The enemy had shown how cold and ruthless they were, when they replied to Leo's questions of why with blaster fire, taunts, and of course death threats. They didn't care about human life, all they wanted was to further their gain, no matter what the cost.

Leo sighed then changed the subject; "you're going to let me go see Celvice now right?"

Thunderheart nodded, "yeah, c'mon kid, she's been moved out of the medical ward and is now resting in some quarters we got set up for her…"

Leo nodded and followed after Thunderheart as they left the medical ward. As he plodded behind the tall man, Leo couldn't help but marvel at how tall and strong Thunderheart was. A man shaped by many battles, he understood war quite thoroughly it seemed, and Leo wondered silently how such a man could withstand the grief and suffering that came with such knowledge. He nodded quietly as he came to the conclusion he hoped he never would have to find out.

After a few minutes of a silent walk down the hall, they came to a door. Leo looked at the nameplate at the side of the door, it read, "Celvice." He sighed as he noted the nameplate did not bear her last name, just like the patch over his breast read only, "Leo" it seemed the crew of the Atlantis got to know everyone on a first name basis. All except for Thunderheart who seemed to go more often on a last name basis, which he treated like his first name more than a last name.

Thunderheart nodded to the door, "In here kid." He said.

Leo nodded, "thanks Thunderheart. Would you mind leaving us alone for awhile?"

Thunderheart replied, "we have to be on the bridge in less than thirty minutes, I'll give you a call on the comm., see you then kid…"

With that he walked off. Leo frowned. He couldn't help but feel that Thunderheart seemed to resent him more than anyone. Perhaps it was just the fact that he was just what Thnderheart called him, a kid, and a thirteen-year-old kid at that. He frowned a bit, things just didn't seem right. He looked at the door silently, would Celvice hate him for what happened, would she blame him for his incompetence? Thousands of scenarios ran through his head and he swallowed hard. He suddenly found himself about to knock on the door. He tried to stop himself, but then a soft voice seemed to say from the common the wall, "come on in Leo…" and with that the door slid open. The room was rather dimly lit, but nicely furnished. A bookcase with books was on the far side of the room, and next to it a desk with a small lamp on it. Next to the desk sat a rather nice looking bed, it wasn't too big, but neither was it too small. There was also a window with the stars of space glittering behind the glass. And then Leo noticed the figure sitting up in bed as he walked in the door sliding shut behind him. It was Celvice.

Leo swallowed hard as he forced a smile and said, "Hi Celvice…"

Celvice smiled as he came forward and replied, "Hi Leo…its good to see you again…"

Leo looked her over; she still looked like her normal self, except for the bandage on her side where Viola had shot her. As he looked at the bandage he winced as the bad memories came rushing back.

Celvice noticing the hurt look on his face as he stared at the bandage replied softly, "Leo, its not your fault…you did everything you could to protect me…"

"But…I got you shot Celvice, it WAS my fault…I couldn't protect you."

Leo clenched a fist at his side, he suddenly felt completely incompetent.

"I…I let you down," he continued, "If, If only…" Leo nearly broke down.

Gathering Leo into her arms, Celvice cradled him gently, "its not your fault Leo, honestly…I'm alive aren't I? And, you saved the entire colony from complete obliteration…by yourself…you're far from incompetent."

She continued softly, "Leo, do you know how worried I was when you were out there defusing those bombs and fighting Anubis? I was afraid I would loose you forever…the thought scared me beyond everything…I felt so helpless, and scared, if anyone should be feeling incompetent it should be me."

Leo pushed pout of her arms gently and looked at her.

"You felt scared?"

He looked at her incredulously. Celvice? The one who was always the voice of reason and maturity? Her? Scared? He laughed a bit, and then looked at her.

"You're kidding right?"

She shook her head, "no Leo, I'm not…I felt like I always got in the way…and then when I got shot, I felt that you'd risk your life even more to go after Viola to settle the score, even…even if you didn't want to."

It was his turn to rebuke what she said, "You never were in the way…I rescued you because you're my friend, and…I wouldn't want to loose that friendship over anything, not even this war…that's why I got so scared, I was afraid you'd die because of my actions to stop the enemy…"

Celvice smiled softly again, "thank you Leo…"

Leo smiled back a bit, replying, "You're welcome…"

They sat there quietly, not saying anything for the next minute or so, then Celvice looked out the window and said, "they're beautiful aren't they?"

Leo blinked, "hunh?"

"The stars…"

"Oh…"

Leo blushed a bit and put a hand behind his head, "yeah they are, aren't they?"

He didn't feel Celvice lean against his shoulder and loop an arm through the space of his own arm. As they sat their quietly admiring the silent beauty of the stars, suddenly the comm beeped.

Celvice quietly broke away from Leo's arm before he could notice where she was and replied with a sigh, "yes?"

It was ADA.

"Leo is asked to report to the Bridge of the Atlantis for a meeting with Elena and Thunderheart." The female voice intoned.

Leo looked up, "ADA, is that you?" he asked incredulously.

"Affirmative." Came the reply.

"How?" he asked, "aren't you onboard Jehuty?"

"When not onboard Jehuty, I am in the Atlantis' computer, unlike Jehuty, it has no AI programming and serves quite well for any functions I require outside of Jehuty."

"So does that mean you were listening in on our entire conversation?" Celvice asked.

"Affirmative."

Leo frowned, "haven't you heard of privacy ADA?"

ADA seemed to be puzzled, "you mean, you two had wished to be alone?"

"That's what I told Thunderheart!"

ADA voice seemed to shift to a laugh, "Yet you had no clue the computer was constantly functioning, you simply could have told it to stop functioning in the room."

Leo sighed, "never mind ADA, tell Elena and Thunderheart I am on my way to the bridge."

ADA intoned, "As you wish Leo, I shall guide you there as so you don't get lost."

"And ADA?"

"Yes Leo?"

"Next time, don't eavesdrop when I'm in here."

"As you wish Leo."

And then the console shut down, ADA's voice disappearing. Leo frowned. Had she seemed somewhat uncharacteristically friendly? Her voice seemed to shift from mechanical to…playful. He frowned and shook his head; it wasn't possible, no AI was that advanced.

Sighing he turned to Celvice, "sorry, I should go now, don't want to keep the two waiting, or else Thunderheart will get even more irritated, I'll make it up to you OK?"

Celvice smiled, "alright, I'll see you later…and Leo?"

"Yes?" he replied.

"That uniform makes you look very handsome and grownup…" so saying, Celvice blushed a bit.

Leo blushed back, "thanks, I guess I could get used to wearing it…I'll see you later."

And with that he was gone out the door. Celvice sighed and lay back into bed, staring out at the night sky, watching the stars move by, and then silently drifted off to sleep.
----------
The Love of a Machine
Chapter Three

Leo said his goodbyes to Celvice and left her quarters quietly, making sure not to wake the sleeping girl. As he walked along the Atlantis' corridors he kept on going over in his mind about Viola and what she had done to Celvice. Yet, as he walked and brooded silently he couldn't help but think about Viola even more.

iYou shot and nearly killed Celvice, then you tried to destroy the colony, ADA, and me. I should hate you Viola.../i He thought to himself quietly, iYet I don't...WHY?/i

He turned down another corridor, only to have his thoughts promptly interrupted by ADAs methodical voice from the computer.

"Leo, the bridge is to your left, not your right as you have just done, please pay attention so you can get to the bridge as quickly as possible."

Leo looked up, "Oh, sorry ADA, I guess I wasn't paying attention."

"Please pay more attention next time, as my frame runner in combat situations you must always be paying attention to your surroundings to ensure the survival of Jehuty and maintain your combat effectiveness."

The young boy sighed and nodded, "thank you ADA I'll keep that in mind."

"You're welcome." came the usual precise answer in the same tone of voice she always used.

Leo sighed, corrected his path, then shoved his hands into his pants. He was glad ADA didn't ask too many questions when onboard the Atlantis' computer, it let him keep his own thoughts more private than in the cockpit of Jehuty. He remembered of how ADA had pestered him with questions when they had been fighting through the colony and how it seemed she never seemed to be quiet. He smiled a bit, he really wouldn't want to forget those memories.

After a few more twists, turns and corridors, Leo made it to the bridge of the Atlantis. As the door slid open Thunderheart and Elena turned around to see him.

Elena smiled broadly, then said, "good morning Leo, I trust you slept well?"

Leo nodded, then tried to stifle as a yawn as he replied, "yeah, sort of..."

"Good, we need you to be in top fighting conditon...just in case.." replied Elena with a nod.

"In case of what?" Leo looked at her quizzically.

Elena sighed, "in case of attack by enemy frames. It seems our mission to Mars has been compromised somewhat..."

"Hunh? How?" Leo asked, suprise on his face.

Thunderheart took the liberty of answering the question.

"It seems when Anubis was commandeered by the enemy, the enemy learned of our attack on Mars. I also believe they probably were expecting us to come, they're a wily bunch and I wouldn't put it beneth them." The tall Indian man grunted and shrugged a bit, then turned to let Elena speak.

"Leo, we need you to stay on combat alert with Jehuty for the next 72 hours."

Leos jaw dropped and he looked at Elena with disbelief, "Seventy-two hours? Elena! I thought I was out of this and only back up!"

Thunderheart scowled, "well you thought wrong."

Leo scowled, "I didn't agree to this, why not have anyone else pilot Jehuty I'm not going to be part of this anymore!"

Thunderheart growled and narrowed his eyes, "Look kid," he scowled a bit and contionued to stare Leo down, "face it! You're the only one GOOD enough to pilot Jehuty, not to mention control it! The only other one good enough was Alan and he's DEAD!"

The mention of Alans name made Leo freeze. He looked at Elena, then back at Thunderheart. Both were silent. It was obvious the topic was a touchy one. It was then that Elena spoke.

"Leo...please, you have to do this...besides ADA is best tuned to you as Jehutys frame-runner."

Leo sighed and looked away, "I can't I don't want to kill anymore...I refuse..."

Thunderheart suddenly walked over and picked Leo up with both hands, "Get with the program kid!" he yelled, "this is WAR! people DIE! get used to it!" He then put Leo down muttering, "if you don't, you're a dead man walking..."

Leo looked a the two again quietly. Thunderhearts back was turned to him but he kept on casting glances at Leo over his shoulder. Elena was looking at him, her eyes trying to show that she was trying to be strong, but failing.

i"Leo please!"/i She seemed to be almost begging. "Only you can do what is necessary to defeat the faction..."

"Just what IS necessary?" snapped Leo, "is blowing up Jehuty AND ADA necessary? In the end keeping them functioning is not really of any importance now is it?"

Elena looked down and away, bititng her lower lip, "We have to do this Leo..."

"I don't care!" he countered fiercely. "You'll just ask me to kill more people, then blow up Jehuty and ADA! You can't do that!"

"She'll do what she damn well pleases!" growled Thunderheart, "you shouldn't be questoning her judgement!"

Elena held up a hand effectively silencing them both. Calmly she looked at the two, despite the fact her eyes still seemed to cry.

"No, Thunderheart, he's right, but, Leo as right as you may be...things...sometimes have to be done for a greater good.."

Leo shook his head, "No! There is no greater good! Its only an illusion! The fighting wills till go on after Jehuty is destroyed!"

"We're hoping that this operation will knock out the Factions ability to wage war..."

He snorted, "yeah well, and if it doesn't we've lost both ADA and Jehuty!"

Suddenly ADAs voiced intoned in, "I must do my duty assigned to me and my program Leo, I cannot deviate."

"I don't care ADA!" he yelled at the computer, "you're still something...you're not a shell!"

"I am a computer program, no more, no less..." came the emotionless reply from the cmputer. "You should remember that Leo."

Leo sighed and shook his head. ADA then went quiet again and again another uneasy calm settled over the brudge.

Leo took the turn to speak again, "listen..I'm going for a walk, I need to clear my head..."

Elena nodded, "right, here, take this, it was made for you while you were asleep. Its made to ADAs specifications and built by her instruction."

Elena then reached over to Leo, opened his palm and dropped a watch into it. She briefly cupped her hand over his, then smiled.

Leo looked it over then blinked, "what IS it?"

Suddenly the device sprang to life in his hand. "It is me Leo, ADA. This watch is a physical extention of the main computer onboard Atlantis. It allows me to interact with others on a bigger basis."

"I see," Leo said with a nod. "Thank you ADA and Elena..."

"You're welcome. " came ADAs predictable answer.

Elenas was a bit more colorful, "its not aproblem, now go take your walk...if you want you can go see Celvice or soemthing...just come back when you're more ready to talk OK?"

Leo nodded, tried to smile a bit then walked out.

Thunderheart watched Leo go then when the door snapped shut grumped, "that boy is going to be the death of us all..."

Elena shook her head, "on the contrary, I think..I think he will save us all..."

Thunderheart shrugged, "you must have hit your head or something, come on lets go get some coffee or something whle we wait for the kid to come back."

Elena smiled, "I'd be delighted to.."

With that both walked out side to side, laughing and talking, trying to forget the predictament they currently were in.
----------
Read Z.O.E Fanfictions here:
Quote:
http://www.fanfiction.net/game/Zone_of_The_Enders/

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:40 pm