HomeZone of the Enders DataZone of the Enders HD Edition / HD CollectionMARS + VR = M∀RSVisuals / Content GalleryZOE:TUS Message BoardsSitemapAbout ZOE:TUS
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:22 am

My top 5 games of the PS3 generation 
Cyclops

Cyclops

Post Re: My top 5 games of the PS3 generation
VicViper_Leo wrote:
My problem right now is that my Dreamcast is very old, as you can imagine. It doesn't read discs as well as it used to, and the plug for my color cords does not always work. Not just that, but when I was little I failed to take good care of my copy, so it's riddled with scratches. Getting past all of these problems is difficult.

Yeah, it is sad that all old games are like "forgotten" by the game industry that keeps making new games.

There are emuletors but I feel bad when playing them. Nintendo and Sony have emulators in some of their systems, but they lack some titles that i miss.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:30 am
Leopardo

Leopardo

I'm not sure I would say they've been forgotten. I actually live close to a game/movie/music shop that has everything from the NES to present. I don't know if those kinds of shops are common or not, but finding old games isn't a huge issue for me. However, typically when I buy older games, it's usually for PlayStaion, although I do have older systems. This shop has all of the Square RPG's, Resident Evil's, and any other normally hard to find games. Similarly, I work at an arcade; I am the service person that maintains the games and repairs them when they break. So, at least where I live, there still is a healthy amount of older games.

On the other hand, I refuse to play emulators on my computer. I've tried it, but they seem too fake for me. I don't like not holding a controller in my hand, or not seeing and hearing the game on my TV. Some people are ok with emulators, but I don't like to play them.

But, this brings up the issue of backwards compatibility. It's something that every console should absolutely have. I think the PlayStation 2 was the first system to offer this (at least that I know of), and it's something I took advantage of, as I never owned an original Playstation. Supposed "progress" in gaming doesn't feel like actual progress if the foundation is removed - the foundation being the library of games from the older system. Original models of the PlayStation 3 offered full backwards compatibility, which was fantastic. Although, I've heard that was part of the reason the PS3 was so expensive when it was came out, but I'm not sure. In any case, all models of PS3 play PS1 games, and since my PS2 still sort of works it isn't a huge issue for me, but I wish they would've kept it. Nintendo did backwards compatibility right for a long time, with the DS lite being able to play Gameboy Advance games and the Wii being able to play Gamecube games.

However, when talking about backwards compatibility, specifically for Nintendo, the problem is that the Gamecube is the furthest back you can go, because that was the first disc based Nintendo console. It would have been horribly impractical to have an N64 slot, Super NES slot, and NES slot - plus controller ports, on the Wii, obviously. Instead, Nintendo offered the Virtual Console and the Classic Controller, which was a perfectly acceptable remedy for both the company and consumers, and it was wildly successful.

I think that is only acceptable for cartridge based systems, though, because it's ridiculous to suggest that new systems have all kinds of slots on them - disc based systems don't have that problem because one disc tray can hold any kind of disc. Sony has taken the VC iidea and applied it to PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games, and that's not necessary. Sure, Sony probably makes more money by making people rebuy older games, but it's not loyal to the consumers that already purchased those games when they were released.

That's not to say that I'm completely opposed to buying downloadable disc based games. I'm only opposed to it when those disc based games should be compatible on the newer system. So, I dislike it with PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games, but I think it's fine with Dreamcast games, for example, because those games weren't originally on a Sony system. Really, I just think this should be common sense. Particularly with PlayStation's, this is actually something I factor into my thinking when if I decide I want a new one.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:19 pm
Cyclops

Cyclops

VicViper_Leo wrote:
But, this brings up the issue of backwards compatibility. It's something that every console should absolutely have.

Console games are written for a speciffic CPU, GPU and APIs. So therefore, if a system is to be compatible with other types of games it must contain that hardware too or be powerful enough to be able to emulate it.

A PS2 had a PS1 CPU for additional data processing. PS3 originally had PS2 hardware in it too, but it was not used by PS3 games so it was removed for cost reasons.

A PSVita can play PS1 and PSP games also. Tho I'm not sure how that works.

So if a system is to be compatible it must be extreamly much more powerfull than the system it is supposed to be compatible with, or have very similar hardware. This imposes restrictions on how systems can be improved in newer generations.

A remedy is something like Gaikai/"Playstation Now" that has remote servers hosting the games, that are played locally with some lag. Tho, I won't be a big fan of it because of the required internet bandwidth and unavoidable lag.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

Location: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
I still buy old games all the damn time, because they're actually worth it. I get very little money (I don't have a job, thank you shitty American economy), and all the newer games I want don't go down in price often enough for me to get them. My meager collection is full of classics like Final Fantasy 1-9 (minus 3) and the original Resident Evils. There was (might still be, I don't know) a classic game shop just in the next city over, but I haven't been there in years.

As far as my top ten goes... Jesus, that's tough.

01) Doom
02) Resident Evil Remake
03) Resident Evil 2
04) Metal Gear Solid
05) Final Fantasy VIII
06) Resident Evil 3
07) Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty
08) Doom 3 BFG Edition
09) Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots
10) Resident Evil Revelations

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:48 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

Bandage131 wrote:
(I don't have a job, thank you shitty American economy)

Lemme tell you, it is not getting any better anytime soon. We're getting in serious trouble fiscally and monetarily, largely due to the operations of the Federal Reserve and bad decisions over long periods of time by Congress. And then we've got everybody in this country thinking that our problems are the fault of Wall Street banks and the top 1% - a narrative anyone should be able to see through - and they vote with that in mind.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:06 pm
Zakat

Zakat

michael_3dx wrote:
PS3 originally had PS2 hardware in it too, but it was not used by PS3 games so it was removed for cost reasons.

The PS3 (every model) can still run PS2 games downloaded from the PS Store, though. Given that, I don't see what's the point of disabling disc-based retro compatibility (well, actually I do. Money. But that's beside point). Unless I'm missing something, of course.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:32 am
Cyclops

Cyclops

CaveShinobi wrote:
michael_3dx wrote:
PS3 originally had PS2 hardware in it too, but it was not used by PS3 games so it was removed for cost reasons.
The PS3 (every model) can still run PS2 games downloaded from the PS Store, though. Given that, I don't see what's the point of disabling disc-based retro compatibility (well, actually I do. Money. But that's beside point). Unless I'm missing something, of course.

My guess is that the PS2 software emulator is buggy and not compatible with all PS2 games. Maybe those PS2 games that you can download have been processed for better compatibility with the emulator, maybe, IDK.

EDIT:
After googling around, I think there might be some legal issues with that emulator, or that it did cost so much to develop that they don't want to release it for free.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:24 pm