HomeZone of the Enders DataZone of the Enders HD Edition / HD CollectionMARS + VR = M∀RSVisuals / Content GalleryZOE:TUS Message BoardsSitemapAbout ZOE:TUS
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

PlayStation 4 and Xbox One 
Leopardo

Leopardo

Post PlayStation 4 and Xbox One
Has anybody gotten or plans to get any of the new consoles? I have not, and I currently have no plans to at least until a PS4 slim is released. I will say, I will miss Mirror's Edge 2 and Kingdom Hearts III (and the soon to be announced Fallout 4), but I cannot justify spending hundreds of dollars on games I probably won't have time to play when I'm trying to pay for school. On top of that, Metal Gear Solid V is coming out on current generation systems as well, so that gives me enough reason to wait.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:17 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

Location: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
Post Re: PlayStation 4 and Xbox One
The sad thing about this generation is that months ago, I was certain the one I'd purchase would be the PS4. Now, sadly, the Xbox One actually has a game on it that I want to play, and the goddamn thing is exclusive. Plus, the PS4 has had so many problems so far. Fuck you, Capcom, for making Dead Rising 3 an X1 exclusive, and trying to drag me toward it.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:02 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

Is it possible that it's a timed exclusive? I know the first one came out on Wii, and the second one was available for PS3 I believe. I remember no one thought that the original Mass Effect would go multiplatform. Maybe it would be good to wait to make absolute sure it won't come to PS4.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:21 am
Leopardo

Leopardo

According to Capcom, it's not a timed exclusive, it's permanently exclusive to the X1, but I could see an enhanced version being released on the PS4. I'm still taking the wait anyway, because the consoles are both fucking up right now, I read.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:27 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

I've heard those kinds failure stories in passing. I think I read a headline that even IGN was having problems with an Xbox One. In any case, being an admitted Kojima fanboy, my desire for any new console depends on my ability to play Metal Gear Solid. Ha ha.

In all seriousness, it would be really different right now if my all favorite series's were producing solid launch titles. Resident Evil 4 came out in 2005. And while it's not that subsequent Resident Evil's have been bad - I played through 5 a few times and enjoyed the coop a lot - none since 4 have captured the feeling that drew me into the series in the first place. I know most will probably disagree with me, but I think Resident Evil was at its best in 1998 and has been slowly sliding downhill ever since! (Really, it's just that I adore Resident Evil 1 and 3, and I actually did not care for 2 as much - I must be weird or something).

The Tom Clancy games are suffering from similar problems. Specifically, I like Rainbow Six, but Splinter Cell has the same symptoms. I like SuperBunnyHop's description of the transformation of the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJBdIn5EQTg

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I would pay top dollar to play games more similar to the original Resident Evil or Rainbow Six Rouge Spear. I actually tried to install and play Rouge Spear a couple weeks ago, and had to jump through all kinds of compatibility and virtual machine hoops because Windows 7 does no run older programs. That game is difficult, completely unfair, and just so much fun to play. Then, the games crashed again, so I can't play them now. :( And this isn't to suggest Vegas was bad - I think Vegas was sweet, but I'd like to play more of the original style.

And then there's Final Fantasy. Granted, I'm not a huge Final Fantasy fan, but Final Fantasy X was the first time I was prepared to play a game I had just purchased literally all night without stopping. I was so impressed with it as a kid. I think it was a combination of the plot, characters, gameplay, and music that did it for me. I was hoping Final Fantasy XIII would recapture some of that feeling, but it really fell flat. I bought the game for $60, and the further I got into it the more I had to acknowledge that it was not as good as I had hoped. I actually regret spending all the money for that game, which is something I cannot say about any other game I own. I just want Square to move on, but they've created two more Final Fantasy XIII games, but I'm really reluctant to give them a change. Now, they're moving back into MMO territory with XIV. I just want another game like Final Fantasy X for heaven's sake!

When we add this with the reality that I can now play the original Kingdom Hearts, and soon its sequel, on my PS3, I feel like I can get my KH fix and be satisfied without Kingdom Hearts III. Same with Mirror's Edge - I am satisfied with the original game, no need to play something else that'll probably complicate matters and change the gameplay elements I enjoyed. With all of this and Ground Zeros and Phantom Pain coming to PS3, my incentive to purchase the new system is zero. I really have no desire for it. Plus, I still have to play The Last of Us!

Also, maybe it's just by ignorance of the technical matters in the new systems, but I cannot wrap my mind around spending hundreds of dollars for a new machine when I swear my current machine can already do all of this. I am very uncomfortable with that.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:46 am
Zakat

Zakat

So far, no plans at all. I just don't trust any console on launch. First, I'll wait till all sorts of issues are sorted out, the price drops and till their libraries actually have any games. Then, I'll decide. If I ever buy one, I'm more likely to go to the PS4 (FFXV, in case it doesn't release on PS3 as well), Kingdom Hearts III and Mirror's Edge 2 are, so far, the only PS4 games I'd like to play. As well as any Dark Souls sequel, of course. And Platinum games. Don't think I'm forgetting any title.

Anyway, it'll be a long while until I finally feel comfortable buying one. IF I actually ever feel comfortable.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:05 am
Leopardo

Leopardo

Final Fantasy XV is only on the PS4 and X1. So far, it doesn't look worth the price. Granted, the game's been in development since 2005 or so, so I guess it makes sense. I've been considering snagging the Kingdom Hearts HD Remix's some day. None of the games interested me individually, but maybe as sets, they'll be just fine. Mirror's Edge 2 should have happened by now, but DICE has been busy making Battlefield games.

It should be a long time before anybody considers buying a new console.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:22 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

I would highly recommend Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix. But, I need to at least mention the bad stuff. Firstly, I didn't realize this when I purchased the game, but 358/2 Days is only the cutscenes - there is no gameplay with it. Also, the Final Mix version really is not that different from the North American version. From what I read, the NA version had a lot of stuff the original Japanese version did not, so in the Final Mix they added all of that and the secret final boss. Lastly, Chain of Memories, while not as bad as some people think, also isn't great. I actually beat the GBA version, and I purchased it again on PS2 but never beat it.

The way I see it, you're really purchasing the game to play Kingdom Hearts 1 again. And, I will say, I forgot how fun that game actually is. It simply nails the fun-factor for me, and has a great story to keep me interested. And, for those two reasons alone, I would definitely recommend that people play it.

And I agree Mirror's Edge 2 should've happened by now. That game came out like five years ago. And I highly doubt this game is so technologically that the PS3 couldn't run it. It just seems like a scam to me.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:59 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

I've seen Kingdom Hearts 1 and Re: Chain of Memories played, and I knew 358/2 Days (or, as it's pronounced "358 Days over 2", which sounds outrageously stupid) was a movie (which, for some reason, has Trophies). I used to hate that series, because of the Disney characters, but I've cooled down since then. Disney characters no longer piss my off like they used to.

Plus, the technology of the PS3/360 shouldn't have anything to do with Mirror's Edge 2, because the PS4/X1 aren't that much better, simply improved detailing and shadows, nothing more.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:32 pm
Cyclops

Cyclops

I have pre-ordered a PS4 (I wonder when I'll get mine, they seem to be really out of stock here ;) ).

Tho, I did it mainly because I want to have one so I can play Infamous second son when it comes out.

I'm also excited about Mirrors Edge 2 and the next "real" Ninja Gaiden (not Yaiba)

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:51 am