HomeZone of the Enders DataZone of the Enders HD Edition / HD CollectionMARS + VR = M∀RSVisuals / Content GalleryZOE:TUS Message BoardsSitemapAbout ZOE:TUS
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 PlayStation 4 and Xbox One 
Inhert

Inhert

Post Re: PlayStation 4 and Xbox One
*innocently whistles

Move along. Nothing to see here~

Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:23 am
Leopardo

Leopardo

Location: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
VicViper_Leo wrote:
Exactly. I know someone who plans on purchasing a new next gen system for this game and I just want to tell this person how bad of an idea that is. In any case, I saw that Lego Hideo, and I want it!

Do you read the Snake Soup by any chance? I love that site, now it's an aggregate for Metal Gear news. It's very convenient for staying up to date.

I do visit The Snake Soup every now and again. I used to post on their forums, as well, but then I got tired of seeing all the post-MGS1 hate, the bullshiters who can't stand that Portable Ops is canon, and the outright trollery that happens on an hourly basis. My Metal Gear news comes either from there or IGN.

helldiver450 wrote:
*innocently whistles

Move along. Nothing to see here~

Nice traffic lights. Are those blue Zakus in the top image? Other than those two things, pretty good.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:14 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

Portable Ops is really interesting. Officially, it is canon, but from what I've read most official timelines omit it, and it's never referenced again. I thought it had some interesting story aspects, like providing more info about the philosophers and their impact on the US government, as well as Ocelot murdering the DCI to get the philosopher's legacy. But, if getting the other half of the Legacy was so easy, I wonder why they bothered to make it a plot point, anyways. In any case, my biggest issue with the game was Gray Fox.

What did you think about the game?

Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:57 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

I enjoyed it. On the first playthrough, it's a little monotonous, because you're going around getting guys, placing them where you want them, getting more guys... it arbitrarily extends the length of the game because you end up having to go back to certain places where you have no mission and grab guys that might be good.

On repeat playthroughs (and I've beaten that game fifteen times, amazingly enough), it gets a little tighter, a little better, and the game really benefits from seeing the story at least twice. There are a few things you could potentially miss the first time through. That whole reference to "the man with the same codename as null", for instance. Unless you know that in certain languages "null" means "zero", that could pass you by completely, and you probably wouldn't know that Major Zero is the one they're talking about.

Then there's that whole "deviously cunning strategist" thing. The game makes you think it's Zero, the image that they show is a darkened shot of Ocelot, and in actuality, they're talking about a character we wouldn't see for four years because it's Coldman from Peace Walker.

I enjoyed the game, I enjoyed the story (just like any other Metal Gear game), I'm a little distressed at the fact that the game has been treated so badly over the years. It did an amazing thing: stuck the MGS3 engine on a handheld and made it work. Granted, it would be overshadowed by Peace Walker four years later, which took a modified MGS4 engine, scaled it down a little, put it on a PSP and added so goddamn much more (IGN describes Ground Zeroes as Peace Walker 2, and that does not disappoint me), but what Portable Ops accomplished in 2006, less than a year after Subsistence came out, is truly amazing.

That's how I feel about Portable Ops.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:32 am
Leopardo

Leopardo

Remind me why the man with the same code name as Null is significant, again. I don't remember. I remember the deviously cunning strategist thing was about the person who came up with the plan in Snake Eater, and I remember thinking that it was a little cheap. Because, if Coldman was the Director of Central Intelligence in Snake Eater, why wasn't he with Johnson at the end of the game? I think the official reason is because Coldman resigned right before that meeting happened, but it just seems obvious that part of the story was planned out ahead of time - not that I'd expect it to be.

Is the DCI that Ocelot kills at the end of the game the same person that Big Boss sees at the end of Snake Eater?

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:35 pm
Leopardo

Leopardo

VicViper_Leo wrote:
Remind me why the man with the same code name as Null is significant, again. I don't remember.

It's your first hint that Major Zero is the bastard behind it all, which MGS4 would later prove. Null in German is Zero, Gray Fox was likely given the codename Null because he spoke a little German.

VicViper_Leo wrote:
I remember the deviously cunning strategist thing was about the person who came up with the plan in Snake Eater, and I remember thinking that it was a little cheap. Because, if Coldman was the Director of Central Intelligence in Snake Eater, why wasn't he with Johnson at the end of the game? I think the official reason is because Coldman resigned right before that meeting happened, but it just seems obvious that part of the story was planned out ahead of time - not that I'd expect it to be.

Yes, the whole thing was cheap. Before Peace Walker came out and threw a big fucking wrench in the works, it could be assumed that the DCI at the end of Snake Eater (the same one that shows up in Portable Ops) was the "deviously cunning strategist". But, then, Peace Walker comes out and says that Coldman was the one who planned the operation.

Except: Coldman simply states that he was the one who planned "The operation to eliminate the traitor". He could very well be talking purely about Operation Snake Eater, and somebody else planned the Virtuous Mission, very possible Major Zero. It's never elaborated on. Most people assume that Coldman planned the whole of MGS3, and I can understand why.

Now, Coldman didn't resign, he was shafted and sent to South America as a big "fuck you, we're replacing you", and I can only assume that the Philosophers installed their own DCI for the upcoming San Heironymo take over, but once again, not elaborated on.

Is the DCI that Ocelot kills at the end of the game the same person that Big Boss sees at the end of Snake Eater?[/quote]

Yes, the DCI that Ocelot kills is the same one that Big Boss refuses to shake the hand of (leading to a very interesting encounter in the jungles of Russia, see Subsistence's Secret Theater). He's not the same DCI that Ocelot talks to at the end of Snake Eater, however. That's assumed to be Coldman, since Coldman got a hold of the Metal Gear and Shagohad plans from Ocelot, who stole them out of Granin's sock drawer. Sokolov designed the ICBMG and RAXA based on similar plans that were likely kept back by Ocelot and then given to Gene and Sokolov.

Alright, that's enough for now I think. My eyes are bleeding because I've been staring at the screen too long.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:21 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6